Drug addiction happens when you become dependent on drugs. Your body and mind become so dependent on drugs that it stops functioning without it.
Various factors lead to drug addiction. If you are addicted to drugs or know someone who is then you should call for drug treatment help near you. This is the best way to overcome addiction to drugs.
Stages of Drug Addiction
Many of you may not know this but there are four main stages of drug addiction. This include:
- Experimentation: This is the stage when you try drugs for the first time without facing any physical consequences.
- Regular use: This is the second stage of addiction when you start using drugs regularly or on social occasions.
- Risky abuse: This is the stage when you start prioritising drugs before anything else. You are not worried about the consequences anymore.
- Drug dependency: This is the final stage of addiction when your body becomes dependent on substances and cannot function without it.
What are the effects of drug addiction?
Drug addiction can impact your life in several ways. It is not just risky for your health, but it also destroys your life.
- Drugs can cause several health problems including cardiovascular problems, organ failure, weak immune systems, infections, etc.
- It destroys relationships and reduces the quality of your life.
- It affects you mentally and psychologically as well.
- In some cases, it can even cause death. This mainly happens in the case of a drug overdose.
How to overcome drug addiction?
Here are some things you can do to overcome your drug addiction:
- Enrol yourself in a drug addiction rehab for treatment.
- Surround yourself with good people who have a positive impact on you.
- Improve your lifestyle, eat healthily, and exercise.
- Indulge yourself in new hobbies to keep yourself distracted.
- Avoid people who have a bad influence on you or force you to take drugs.
Getting addicted to or recovering from addiction, both is in your hands. Unless you decide what you want to do with your life, no one can help you.