What Is GERD reflux disease?
GERD reflux, also known as Gastroesophageal reflux disease, is a condition caused when the acid content in the esophagus rises. This can cause severe damage to the ring of muscles between your stomach and the esophagus. If you suffer from this condition, then you must see a specialist for GERD reflux in Baltimore
The problem can be solved by consulting a health professional who may suggest a diet change or medications to alleviate your problem. In some cases, surgery could also be required depending upon the severity of the disease.
Signs of GERD Reflux
People who have GERD reflux often suffer from digestive issues such as:
- Severe pain in the chest
- Heat burn while eating or during the night
- Problem in swallowing
- A sensation that makes you feel like there is a lump in your throat
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Chronic cough, etc.
In case you face issues with any such symptoms, it is best to get professional help to ensure that the problem does not worsen. There are several medical experts who provide quality assistance for GERD reflux in Baltimore.You can look for recommendations and perform a proper analysis of the healthcare professional while looking for one.
Causes of GERD Reflux
Since we have understood “what is GERD reflux”, it is crucial to understand the causes of this disease. The primary reason for GERD reflux is the Lower Esophageal Sphincter’s inability to tighten and close properly. It hampers the functioning of the digestive system by raising the amounts of digestive juices from the stomach resulting in these contents getting inside your esophagus.
How To Diagnose GERD disease?
If you have been noticing any of the symptoms and consult a doctor, then you will be advised to get a physical examination done. There are various processes to diagnose GERD in a patient, such as:
- Upper Endoscopy: A camera is fitted to a tube which is inserted in your esophagus to collect tissue for sampling.
- Esophageal Manometry: This procedure is used to ensure the strength of your esophageal muscles. It is done by inserting a tube.
- Barium Swallow: The patient is given a barium drink, followed by an x-ray examination to examine the health of your upper digestive tract.
- Esophageal PG Monitoring: This procedure is used for examining how and when acid enters your stomach. It is conducted by inserting a monitor inside your esophagus.
If you face any symptoms of GERD reflux, then you must not delay an appointment with a healthcare expert.