When the winter period brings its share of epidemics and the organism is affected, this often results in fever accompanied by symptoms, chills, body aches, icy hot, intense thirst, increased heart rate, fatigue, headaches. If so, now is the time to sit down and check if you have a fever. For this you will need a thermometer.
- Indeed, if these signs undoubtedly announce the appearance of fever, it is important to check it by taking the temperature of the body.
- Any abnormal temperature is worth monitoring and this will allow the doctor to make a diagnosis if symptoms persist.
- The Normal body temperature averages 37 ° C , however, it can vary between 36.5 ° C and 37.5 ° C depending on the individual.
- But you will understand, taking your temperature with a thermometer is essential.
However, since the days of the good old mercury thermometer that children used to heat by passing it under hot water to miss a day of school are long gone, Pharma GDD explains to you what are the possible ways, which thermometer to choose and according to what criteria.
The history of the medical thermometer
The medical thermometer is the device used to measure and display the value of the body temperature.. It may not seem like much, but since Antiquity and the fabulous discovery of Galileo, this small measuring instrument has not stopped evolving. Indeed, the medical thermometer moves to update itself and offer its precious services. With the Non-contact thermometer buy this happens to be the best deal.
Certainly, for a long time, the body temperature measurement remained approximate and the practitioner only had to place his hand on the patient’s forehead to measure his degree of fever. Years passed and we added to the hand resting on the hot forehead, the approximate count of the beats that the patient’s heart made on his wrist. At that time, we took the pulse without knowing the use of the thermometer. , a German doctor, had not had a good thermometer behind his ear, he would never have been able to write his famous works on fever.
- Thus, it took many decades to develop this extraordinary little measuring device and make it commonplace.
- This is what today allows us to see fever from another angle, to know the merits as well as the risks.
- Over time, this measuring instrument has adapted to our lifestyles to integrate our family first aid kits and take an important place.
However, the medical thermometer has evolved so much that today there is a multitude of them and this is why Pharma GDD offers you an insight into the different options available to you, as well as the various methods for taking temperature.
What are the possible ways to use a thermometer?
The rectal route:
It consists, after having previously disinfected it, in introducing a conventional or electronic medical thermometer into the rectum. To take an infant’s temperature, lay him on his back and bend his knees. The thermometer is inserted for a length of about 2.5 cm (silver tip) and for 3 minutes. It can then be removed and the reading made on the graduations or the digital screen. Clean the thermometer after use. If you have opted for a conventional thermometer, shake it after each use so that the liquid drops below 36 ° C. A body temperature normal by rectal route is between36.2 ° C and 37.7 ° C. Beyond that, it is a matter of fever.