If you’re currently considering a personal trainer in your area, then there are plenty of factors that you’ll need to keep in mind. Finding the right personal trainer for your unique needs will always make a massive difference in terms of obtaining your best workout results, so you have to do your homework when making these types of hiring decisions.
We’ve partnered up with the personal training experts at Rising Legends Academy of Fitness to support us in creating this list of five tips oriented around finding a personal trainer no matter where you live.
So take it from the fitness specialists in that the below tips will guide you toward the personal trainer you’re in need of:
Ask About Personal Training At Your Favorite Local Gym
The very fist place you should go to ask about personal trainers is at the gym you like to workout already. If you have a favorite gym in your area, this is a good place to start because they’ll likely have many personal trainers on staff.
Most gyms will provide short bios for their personal trainers so you can get a glimpse into who they are, and a lot of gyms will even recommend certain trainers based upon your specific fitness goals. Every personal trainer bio will include the following:
- How long they’ve been a personal trainer
- Where they received their certification/education
- Their specialties (i.e. conditioning, strength, sports training, overall health, pre/post natal, etc.)
Search Through Local Classifieds
If you don’t know what your favorite local gym is, or you simply prefer working out at home, you could go to classifieds websites to find great personal trainers as well. When you go this route with your search, you’ll want to verify that the trainer you’ve found is in fact board certified.
Online reviews about the trainer could also go a long way in this scenario, and asking for personal references is another way to verify a trainer’s overall quality. Some great sites to find local personal trainers include Facebook, community forums, Craigslist, Yelp, and other classifieds sites where personal trainers may be listed.
Knowing Great Personal Trainer Qualities
You won’t make it very far in your search for a personal trainer if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Some of the qualities to be on the lookout for while you’re searching for a new personal trainer include the following:
- Fitness passion: All great personal trainers are committed to their profession, which means everything they do revolves around fitness and athletics.
- Compassion & empathy: Good personal trainers understand that they’ll more than likely be working with people who struggle with their health, which means they should understand your personal circumstances and be able to motivate you toward tangible improvements.
- Good communication: This is crucial for every personal trainer because they’ll need to be able to clearly explain certain exercises to you, and they also need to be good listeners when you address your concerns.
- Fast thinkers: You don’t want to invest in a personal trainer that’s just a complete meathead, because great personal trainers are also great critical thinkers when it comes to correcting a client’s form and technique. They should be able to think on their feet and help you make the proper adjustments that are best for your body, which is often a lot easier said than done!
- Professionalism: Ideal personal trainers embody a sense of professionalism that helps you feel safe in terms of their program-building and accurate assessments of your health. They should make you feel good about yourself and your fitness journey progression, and they should be there for you when you need them.
Personal Training Management Software Is A Great Sign
It’s sometimes hard to differentiate your local personal training specialists, but one way is whether or not the personal trainer is using a management software to help them organize their schedules and client needs.
These programs are great for personal trainers because it helps them more clearly see what their clients have done in recent sessions, and better organize their time between sessions.
Consider Doing A Personal Trainer Trial/Audition
The very best way to see what a personal trainer is like is to actually do a session with them, and a lot of trainers will allow you to do trial runs or auditions at a discounted rate or for free.
Personal trainers understand how people want to feel comfortable with them prior to investing in their services, so this is a pretty common practice that helps people understand what they can expect from their personal training journey.
Contact The Rising Legends Team To Learn More About Hiring Personal Training Experts!
It’s always an exciting time when you’re on the hunt for a new personal trainer, but hiring the right personal training specialist to meet your specific needs can sometimes be tough. By going through the above tips, you’ll undoubtedly put yourself in a much better position to hire the right guy/gal for the job.
You can learn more personal trainer hiring tips by going through the hyperlink at the top of the page to the website for the Rising Legends Academy of Fitness!