Everyone wants a healthy body & healthy mind, isn’t it? But nowadays most of the people are suffering from one common problem i.e. obesity. Obesity is a problem that never comes alone. There are risks of several other diseases. Obese persons are more prone to get a heart attack, BP issue & kidney problems. If you are also one of them then this article will help you.
Are you also trying to lose weight by going gym & doing exercise but not getting an appropriate result? Are you also one of them who wants to have a flatter stomach? If your answer is “Yes” then did you ever tried to find out a better solution? Well, bariatric surgery is the answer to your problems. It is a surgical method to lose weight by bringing change into your digestive system.
At this point, you might be having several questions in your mind regarding this. You might be thinking about the cost of the surgery or risks associated with this. Dr. Samrat Jankar, one of the best gastroenterologist in Pune will be describing everything to clear all your doubts regarding bariatric surgery.
It is a common name collectively used for different types of weight-loss surgeries. In this method, the surgeon will make changes in your digestive system (either in the stomach or in the intestine). In this method, the surgeon limits the amount of food that you can consume or reduce the nutrition absorbing ability by making desirable changes. This method is also helpful in controlling type-2 diabetes. There are different types of bariatric surgery available & most of them are done using modern laparoscopic surgery.
Though there are few chances of complications with this method but if we consider the seriousness of the problem then it is comparatively negligible. Obesity or overweight is one of the major reasons behind several other diseases. It causes heart disease, kidney issues & even osteoarthritis which contributes to the major portion of knee replacement surgery in India. If you are looking to undergo bariatric surgery or want a second opinion then it suggested that you get an opinion from gastroenterologists in major cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, Chennai so as to ensure that you receive quality treatment.
There are several types of weight-loss surgeries available. Here we will discuss the 2 most common method of bariatric surgery-
Gastric Bypass Method
A small pouch in the stomach is connected directly to the intestine. It allows food to reach the intestine without traveling the larger portion of the stomach. It is the most common weight-loss surgery.
- Persons with a BMI higher than 40 are treated using this method.
- If the person is having High blood pressure & type-2 diabetes then the doctor prefers this method.
- If the person is having any other severe health issues.
What to Expect?
It is a long term weight-loss method where a person can lose up to 50-60% body weight. This might take up to 2-3 years. The rate of weight-loss also depends upon the diet the patient is following.
Complications & Risks-
It is a more complex method which has more complications. You must follow the guidelines & medications prescribed by the doctor to eliminate the chance of any further issues. Your doctor might ask you for a hospital stay for a longer period for faster recovery.
Short term risks such as bleeding, infections, blood clotting, gastrointestinal leakage & lung issues. In some cases, adverse reaction to anesthesia has been also reported. While long-term risks include ulcers, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea & malnutrition. In rarest cases, hernia & gallbladder stone has also been reported. In some cases, it might lead to long term vitamin & mineral deficiency. As a result, the doctor might prescribe vitamin & mineral supplements.
The surgery is done through the laparoscopy method. Small instruments are used to make incisions in the upper part of the stomach. Almost 60-80% portion of the stomach is removed & only a banana shape portion remains.
- This method is for extremely obese persons.
- Pearsons having sleep apnea are treated using this method.
- In some cases, the doctor might opt for this method even if your BMI Is less than 35 depending upon other health issues.
What to Expect?
This is an irreversible method where a person can lose up to 65% weight in the first few years. The rate of weight loss also depends upon diet, medications & regular exercise. A healthy lifestyle will increase the chances of weight-loss at a faster pace.
Complications & Risks-
Complication risks are higher in this method. It is an irreversible method which in long run might lead to vitamin deficiency.
Short term risks such as bleeding, infections, blood clotting, bowel obstructions & dumping syndrome. While long-term risks include hernia, gallbladder stone, low blood sugar, malnutrition & vomiting. In rarest cases, stomach perforation & gastrointestinal leakage has been reported.
The diet plan varies from person to person. Considering all the factors, the following are the few common changes recommended by doctors-
- Reduce the consumption of sugary drinks.
- The doctor might recommend multivitamin tablets.
- High carbohydrate & saturated fat-rich foods should be avoided.
- Avoid unhealthy fast-foods.
- The doctor might suggest protein supplements.
Diet plan varies depending upon the type of surgery. Considering all the factors, the following are the few common changes recommended by doctors-
- Only sugar-free liquid food is recommended for the first few days.
- Vegetable puree without spices is recommended after the first few days.
- Fruit juice can be consumed.
- Soft easy chewable food such as egg-white, boneless fish & chicken can be consumed at this stage.
- After 2-3 months one constant consuming crunchy foods.
- Consume plenty of liquids.
- Avoid saturated fat & caffeine.
- Eat multiple times but the quantity should be less.
- Stop consuming alcohol.
- Chew your foods properly to break down into smaller pieces.
It depends upon the type of surgery & location of surgery. Considering all the factors, the cost of surgery varies from 1.8 lakhs to 7.5 lakhs.
- It is just a weight-loss surgery- It has many other health benefits. It is also helpful in case of type-2 diabetes, high blood pressure.
- Infertility- It has nothing to do with infertility as it only affects the stomach & intestine. The surgeon does not even touch your reproductive organs. It reduces the complications of pregnancy that are caused due to obesity.
- You will never gain weight- It is a myth. It depends upon your lifestyle & diet. You can consult a dietician in case you want to gain weight.